Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Answers

I must direct you to the comments on my last two post because the are exceptional. Here's what I got out of them (a little of my own stuff and maybe some C.S. Lewis thrown in too):

Have you ever noticed that, often, questions of "how?" can be answered by asking "why?"? It's very true with the question "How can I stay engaged in the present while looking forward to the future?" If I asked "Why should I stay engaged in the present?" the answer would be "Because Christ is there. The present is where Eternity meets time. (that's the C.S. Lewis)" So I can answer my original question by looking for Christ in every situation, asking Him to reveal Himself to me, asking His mother to help me see Him, being led by friends/witnesses who show Him to me. I think asking "why?" gets to the core issues - isn't "why?" what we're really asking with our whole lives? Any other question focuses on what we do - "why?" focuses on who we are.

1 comment:

Andrea Cristiano said...

I think the second most important question is: "And then?" Like: "Oh, now i'm doing my best to pass my next college exam... and then?" This is, I think, the best way to conjure up "Why", the meaning and real importance of our present doing, and it's consequences in the future. Just try and ask yourself "And then?" right until you can say there's no more asking to do. This will lead you to the real basements of your life.

I try it everytime I need to make up my mind and take a decision... it helped me a lot being faithful and free in front of the choice of an university (right now i'm studying medicine, but I was uncertain between it and philosophy or italian literature - I'm italian).

Heaven showers down blessings on you.

Andrea Cristiano