Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Should I be in bed?

Yes! But I'm going to write a quick note in response to a comment left on my last post because I've been thinking this very thing. Rachel says "I don't understand why I keep forgetting." I don't understand either. I'm always encountering situations that show me just how little I really know. Reflecting on these situations, I always think "didn't I know better?" But in each of these episodes I do learn something - even if it's something small or something that seems small at the time. And I'm drawn just a little deeper into the Mystery that is our God. And I'm reminded that I NEED Jesus Christ; I cannot perfect myself. Our victory is in Him so maybe when we forget, it's Him that we're forgetting. When we remember Christ - seek His presence which, through Faith, we know is a constant reality - we remember all we need to know. Everything comes together in Him. (Side note: everything comes together in Him, and I'm going to be His spouse! I'm floored by this! Absolutely floored! And very, very grateful.)

What I love about Faith is the exact this that used to frustrate me about it when I was an atheist: every answer leads to another question! It wasn't until I encountered God and came to know Him that I understood why this is so: it's because the answer to all our questions is a Who, not a what. Things can be known thoroughly and absolutely. People can't. Can you ever fully know another person? I don't think so. You can know them better and better and better, but never completely. God is a divine, infinite, eternal Person so it would be ever more impossible to know Him completely. At first this may seem sad, but it's actually beautiful because it means that we get to spend the rest of eternity being drawn deeper and deeper into communion with Love Himself! There's always more!

And now I really must go because it's 10:30 and I have to be up at 5:00 and I haven't even prayed evening prayer yet!

No comments: