Saturday, December 6, 2008


Blood banks across the country struggle to collect enough blood to meet the needs of their patients. The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is especially challenging. People are filled with holiday cheer, but they're also preoccupied with holiday busy-ness. They don't think about giving blood, and if they do it's hard to find the time. If you're able, please try to donated sometime soon. Thanks to generous blood donors, patients who receive life saving transfusions will be around next year to celebrate the holidays with their families. If you have any questions about blood donation, your friendly American Red Cross phlebotomist (me) would love to answer them for you. Thanks for considering a cause that's very close to my heart.

2 comments:

annie said...

I never think about there being an increased need for blood around the holidays. Thanks for letting me know!

annie said...

Oh, I do actually have a question.

I lived in Europe when I was a child (from 1993-1995). I ate British beef before we knew about Mad Cow and before I was a vegetarian. Am I in the clear yet, or can I still not give blood?

Also, how ironic would it be for me to develop Mad Cow at this point, since I know it has a long incubation period, seeing as I haven't consumed meat of any kind in almost 5 years?