Friday, August 15, 2008

Oprah and Giussani

I'm watching a rerun of an episode of Oprah entitled "Why Did You Get Married?" The show only started 10 minutes ago, and I'm already shocked by the answers to the title question. Almost everyone answered with some variation of "I don't know." When Oprah asked them about their expectations for marriage most of the responses were similar. I don't understand how anyone could undertake something that huge without an equally huge amount of prayer, discussion, introspection and preparation.

This has certainly highlighted for me the importance of living with intention. If I had to sum up the message of Is it Possible to Live This Way? in one word (please don't make me!) I would have to choose THINK. Giussani constantly challenges us to examine our minds, hearts and lives. I'm very new to Communion and Liberation, and I'm just starting to be able to put my experience of this charism into words. One of my favorite things I've learned through the movement so far is that we (we as in human beings, not just members of CL) should never allow ourselves or each other to mindlessly coast. Better still are the underlying implications of this: we are worth more than what we would settle for if it weren't for Jesus Christ. Through Christ, with Christ, and in Christ this "more" which would have been lost in original sin is not only restored but made truly present.

1 comment:

Dcn Scott Dodge said...

Great post and a wonderful insight into why it is important not to just live intentionally, but in the awareness of destiny.