Wednesday, May 20, 2009

asceticism

Asceticism is not necessarily a denigration of the body, though it has often been misapplied for that purpose. Rather, it is a way of surrendering to reduced circumstances in a manner that enhances the whole person. It is a radical way of knowing exactly who, what and where you are.
- Kathleen Norris

When I first read this quote in Dakota, I thought to myself, "But we don't surrender to circumstances, we surrender to God." But then I realized than surrendering to God means accepting the way in which He is with us - circumstances, reality. If God's presence is mediated through our circumstances, then we must be meant to respond in the same way. God comes to us in reality and we respond by embracing our circumstances and living them with love, always mindful of His Presence.

P.S. I'm only 23 pages into Dakota, but I already feel confident recommending it highly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kathleen that is certainly something to ponder

Dcn Scott Dodge said...

Very good, Sarah. The connection between God and circumstances is very crucial. Giussani is smiling and it is probably because of you!

Kathleen Norris is someone whose writing means so much to me, like Giussani, Camus, and Merton, that words escape me. I can do nothing but post what they write.

Rachel said...

thank you for posting :)