Thursday, January 22, 2009

I helped a friend procure an abortion, and I regret it.

Several years ago I helped a friend procure an abortion. I drove her to the clinic and "protected" her from the women who tried to talk to her as we walked into the building. Even then, as a pro-choice atheist, I regretted that decision. I had bought into the theory of "reproductive freedom" but when it came time to practice what I thought I believed, I knew I had gotten something wrong. I told myself that it wasn't really a baby - just a clump of cells - but I couldn't make myself forget that that "clump of cells" had a heart beat, that at one point in our development I and all my friends were "clumps of cells". The world reduces people to what they can do, so an embryo that is still forming has no value because it can't contribute anything. The message of Christ is that we are more than our sins, accomplishments, choices, etc. Are lives are worth infinitely more than any quantifiable measurement of their contribution. Who we are is created for Eternity. All we will become is present in who we are right now, just as all I am today was present 27 years ago in a "clump of cells". Today is the anniversary of the supreme court's Roe v. Wade decision. Here is a link to a short video featuring the former Jane Roe; she regrets her the role she played in legalizing abortion. Please pray for an end to abortion, and an end to the reasons people seek abortions.

3 comments:

Dcn Scott Dodge said...

Thanks for sharing that, Sara. You get to the heart of the matter. Most people who are pro-choice are never faced with abortion, it something for other people and allowing them this "freedom" is a benevolent act of compassion. In other words, for many who are pro-choice, abortion is an abstraction. This is certainly true of those who hold public office and take the personally opposed, but.. position.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catherine said...

Hi! I just found your blog through Conversion Diary and enjoyed reading it. God bless you in your formation for the convent!