Saturday, May 17, 2008


Holiness in not just an end, it is also a means. God does not make us holy for ourselves - He makes us holy for others. Holiness is nothing more and nothing less than being in love with God, and true love is always life giving. What does this mean for a cloistered nun? I asked God this question after the cyclone hit Burma. I was thinking about the voluntary vow of poverty I'm preparing to take as a Poor Clare; it's nothing compared to the desperation inflicted on billions of my brothers and sisters. I asked God, "How can I live in a beautiful monastery in Virginia, with lots of charitable Catholic patrons who bring us whatever we need, and call myself poor? I don't want to be a silly little princess living in a pretty little box, pretending to suffer valiantly for love of Christ (back of hand thrown dramatically up to forehead)."
His answer? "Pray for the coming of the Kingdom."
The Christian ideal isn't to ask for the biggest cross possible; it is to carry the cross that we are given and to do so with love, faith and hope. Love for God and for our brothers and sisters. Faith that God is with us in sufferings and joys - great and small. Hope that this story of Creation ends well because the Author is Good.

No comments: